The QNU recognises that an important mechanism for achieving the objectives set out in our Strategic Plan is through our policies. We have listed our policies in alphabetical order within each of these strategic areas.
These policy sheets contain key information on a range of issues. To view or download a Policy Sheet in pdf format click on the relevant link below. Alternatively, members can also call the QNU Information Hotline on (07) 3840 1419 or toll free on 1800 177 273 for copies of the Policy Sheets.
The Information Hotline is open 24 hours a day and uses a voicemail system. When you call, simply leave your name, address and the title of the Policy Sheet you require and we will send it to you by mail on the next working day.
Ensure union growth, influence and power to achieve QNU organizational objective through the provision of adequate infrastructure and support.
Facilitate empowerment of members to achieve their industrial objectives.
Provide effective industrial leadership.
Provide effective representation.
Maintain and improve wages and working conditions.
Work to achieve positive legislative reforms.
- Assault at work
- Breastfeeding in the workplace
- Car parking
- Critical incident stress debriefing
- Deployment of nursing staff
- Effective communications within the facility
- Employer overpayments
- Guidelines for personal carers leave arrangements
- Housing and accommodation
- Inappropriate behaviour and harassment in the workplace
- Member representation
- Occupational violence and aggression
- Overtime, fatigue and self-assessment
- Pandemic illnesses
- Performance agreements for nurses and midwives
- Personal choice about immunisation
- Radiation safety
- Security at work
- Sexual harassment
- Time off in lieu (TOIL)
- Whistleblower protection
- Workplace amenities (under review)
Facilitate empowerment of members to achieve their professional objectives.
Advocate for the maintenance and advancement of nursing standards.
Provide effective professional representation.
Provide leadership in the advancement of innovative nursing practice.
Contribute to advancements in nursing education, research, training and development.
Influence and contribute to health and aged care policy at all levels.
- Corrective services facility health centres
- Free-standing birth centres
- Hospital-based education and training facilities
- Patient dependency systems
- Skill mix
- Sustainable health care facilities
- Technology in nursing and midwifery care
- Workforce planning
- Workload management
Facilitate action to achieve positive social change.
Maximise the influence of the QNU in political processes.
Promote the participation of members in democratic processes.
ANF Policies, Position Statements and GuidelinesThe QNU is implementing a process by which ANF Policies are endorsed by QNU Council.
Below is a list of the policies that have been endorsed.
For a complete list of ANF Policies click here.
P - Policy, PS - Position Statement, G - Guidline
- The Administration of Medicines (PS)
- Care for people living with a disability (PS)
- Casual employment in nursing and midwifery (PS)
- Competency Standards and nursing and Midwifery (P)
- Domestic violence (PS)
- Employment of undergraduate students of nursing and midwifery (PS)
- Equal Opportunity in the Workplace (P)
- Free Trade Agreements (P)
- Health and the Environment (P)
- Licensing of Assistants in Nursing and Personal Care Assistants (however titled) (PS)
- Management of nursing and midwifery services (PS)
- Midwifery (P)
- Midwifery education: registered midwife (P)
- No Lift (P)
- Nurses and Midwives and Hazardous and Harmful use of Alcohol, Drugs and other substances (P)
- Nursing and Midwifery Care (P)
- Nursing and midwifery education: continuing professional development (P)
- Nursing and Organisational Structures (P)
- Nursing education: assistants in nursing and other unlicensed workers (however titled) (P)
- Nursing education: enrolled nurse (P)
- Nursing education: registered nurse (P)
- Organ and Tissue Donation Transplantation (PS)
- Performance of Work in the Nursing and Midwifery Industries (G)
- Performance Review (G)
- Public and Private Health Services (PS)
- Quality use of medicines (PS)
- Re-entry to the nursing/midwifery workforce (PS)
- Resolution of nursing and midwifery practice concerns in the workplace (PS)
- Rehabilitation following injury or ill-health (P)
- The use of dose administration aids by nurses (G)
- Workers' compensation and rehabilitation for injured and ill nurses and midwives (P)
- Zero tolerance of violence and aggression in the workplace (P)
For first time users your password is your membership number.
Once logged in you should change your password.
If you have forgotten your password you can reset it here.
If you do not have an email address, forgotten your Membership number, or you're having other issues please contact us for further assistance.